Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Last Full Day In Astrakhan

Well, today is the last full day in Astrakhan. Visiting the orphanage went well and M did not even cry. He was a little quite at first but after he saw the stuffed animals, he was back to his old self. We got to see the director and got the papers that we needed with his schedule and then a few pictures and out of the orphanage forever.
We did not do much today but walked to the store with Kyley and Greg and got a few things. He loves to go outside and when he is ready to go he keeps pointing outside again and again until you are ready to go. When he is in a new situation he gets very quite and wide eyed but is very observant and takes everything in. Here is a picture of his not so sure what is going on look:(we were not moving at the time, just parked waiting for Vika).

Here is another picture that I thought was too cute to pass up. We were getting ready to leave and he likes to try to dress himself. Well, here is how he put on his hat. Too Cute.



For dinner we decided to go to our favorite place one last time – the Chocolate Cafe. We went early and took a cab there and back. And it still took two hours! We came prepared for food for the kids and it went pretty well. I have to be careful with M because as long as there is food in sight he will eat it. Even in the room, if there is something left out on the counter, he will keep pointing to it like he wants to eat it so I have to put it away.
We are all very excited to be leaving tomorrow but it was a bit meloncoly driving through the city for the last time tonight. I will always have wonderful memories here but i am also very excited to be getting back home and being together as an entire family!
Tonights bed time routine took a little longer but I made some break throughs. When it was time to go to bed, I tried to hold him and rock him thinking that this would be good for attachment. Well, he did not want anything to do with that, he would figit and skworm trying to get down so he could play. So I would then put him in his crib for awhile. He would sing and play but never really lay down. Eventually He would try to climb out of the crib, which could happen, so I would pick him up and try to rock him again. After about 35 minutes of doing this routine, he finally let me rock him. He settled down and started putting his thumb in his mouth and eventually fell asleep. It was so nice to have him asleep in my arms.
The thumb sucking brings up another issue I ran into today. When I picked him up yesterday, I noticed that his thumb was split open like really dry skin or a small cut that had not healled. Well, I finally realized today that it was sore because it was the thumb that he sucked on. I brought pacifiers to try to switch him to them instead but that is not going real well right now. We will see.
There was thing that I am trying to figure out how to handle today that I would love input on. M knows when you tell him No what that means and as a two year, he likes to test it but what is weird to me is when he does something that I tell him not to, he starts to laugh. So I make a stern face and tell him no again and then put him on my lap and tell him no and hold him for a little while. The whole time he is giggling and laughing. So I try to get his attention on to something else and he stops laughing and continues on playing. I think that he knows what he is dong is wrong but I am not sure about the laughing thing. Well it is only day two and I have to remember that it all takes time.
I don't know if I will be posting tomorrow because we leave the hotel at 5pm, our plane is at 7pm and we probably will not get to the hotel in Moscow until 10pm, provided we get his passport tomorrow like we are suppose to( please pray for that one to happen). But I will post as soon as I can.

Blessings from Above

8 comments:

Leatha said...

Love the picture with the hat!! You're right he is too cute! I'll be praying for everything to go smoothly with the passport!

Unknown said...

As you know Monica I am no expert on kids, but maybe He is laughing because it's his way to try and make sure his new mommy isn't upset with him (question mark.)

Don't worry, God will take care of all the little things.

Can't wait til you guys get home to the rest of your fam.

Still prayin hard.

B

Anonymous said...

As Brian said, I am no expert, but from what I have read (about the laughing when you are trying to reprimand him) Brian is on the right track. He is testing you. It sounds like you are doing the exact right thing and you just need to remain consistent. He has learned to survive and read adult's behavior. You even mentioned that he is very observant of everything going on around him. My guess is that he is trying to find your "buttons" to push and see what reaction he can get. I have even heard (which I hope is not the case with M) that some children who have been abused push you trying to get you to abuse/hit them because they are used to and comfortable with that reaction. A good book is "Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft" by Mary Hopkins-Best. Best of luck! I hope some of that helped and like you said, it is only the 2nd day.

Anonymous said...

He is precious.

The testing is normal. Please reach out if you need support at home. Often children from orphanages have some very suprising behaviors.

Jill said...

Been following your blog...congrats! My daughter Mari (came home from Ethiopia in Jan) is 18 months now. She does the laughing thing when I tell her "no." It is SO frustrating. The only thing that I have found that works is to tell her no sternly and then turn my back on her. She is so afraid of abandonment that she straightens up immediately. It sounds horrible but it works instantly and then I give her a quick hug and distract her with something else. Good Luck!

Stephanie and Dennis said...

He is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a smile!!! I am so very happy for you. Safe travels home.

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Monica, he is so cute! I am praying for safe travel for you both, and for strength and consistency for you. God bless you both.
Sally

April and Daniel said...

SO CUTE. Congrats on your little one.

We are waiting on our court date. Hope soon.

April

PS I tagged you