Friday, September 19, 2008

Day One

Well today was an early start, at least for Russ. He was picked up at 5:30 for the airport to start his trip back home. It is amazing that we have been traveling since September 4th and he will get back home September 20th - He has spent a total of 4 days at home and 2 sets of 2 days each in Astrakhan in that time. I know that he will love being home for the long haul and hopefully let his body get adjusted to one time zone.

Today we(Kyley and Greg and I) went for a walk. We had lost electricity at the hotel and thought that we could get away for awhile. Well we came to find out that most of the city was out. It was extremely windy and walking was difficult because all the dirt was blowing in our eyes and hitting our legs. So our plans to go to the bank and the store did not pan out because of the loss of electricity.

I got to see little M today and we had fun. He has a cold and was running a fever yesterday but seemed better today. Our visit was short today and when Vika asked him if he was ready to go eat, he shook his head no! Yea, I won out over food - but he still had to go. He definitely is expecting me when he comes in the room now and it just seems natural to be together. I do have to say that it is hard to get in my head that he is really our son now, I am sure that it will not really sink in until I get to take him home.

Tomorrow will be a morning visit, hopefully some grocery shopping and I think I will be able to get dial up working tomorrow! That sounds so weird to be excited about dial up but the internet is always down in the hotel and I now have a room with no internet(but a great kitchen and large table to eat at( no coffee table for lunch). We are trying restaurants with free wifi for dinner so we can check our blogs and emails so I am hoping that I can start doing it from my room and possibly Skype with the kids. Anyone that is on their way to Astrakhan, bring a laptop with an phone jack, and plan on buying a phone/internet card(150 rubels(about 6 dollars) for 10 hours internet - Pretty good.

I will start creating a recap of the past week and post soon. We have another family arriving on Sunday for their referral - it is so great that all our many visits that we have been here, we have had other familys with us. What a blessing.

Hope to post soon. Thanks again for your prayers. Love your comments.

Hey kids - we love you very much take it easy on Grandma and Grandpa! Love you Mom and Dad more then words can say.

3 comments:

Patti said...

Congratulations on the new addition to your family! It sounds like little M knows you are his mommy now. I wish you all the best. I believe you will see our friends soon who are leaving today for Astrakhan. I have enjoyed reading your blog - thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Jamie said...

Monica and Russ, this is my first post on your blog, but I have followed your process for some time now. I am so glad you have finally been successful with a positive court outcome. You have had to jump through so many hoops, and now you can just relax and enjoy your time with little M. Monica, best wishes for a wonderful time in Astrakhan. It is so nice to share the time with other families. I am glad you are not alone there.

Jamie Miller, mom to Alina, adopted May 2007 from Astrakhan.

Becky and Keith said...

Congratulations on your great news and your new baby! :-) I can tell you that it doesn't feel real into that little you leave the orphanage and then it feels super real! :-) Enjoy your time with little M and take a LOT of pictures of the orphanage - something I wasn't too good at doing but wish I had been! Again, CONGRATS!