Friday, September 26, 2008

Day 8

Day 8
Well, I think this was the best visit yet with M. At first I was a little worried on our way because we stopped somewhere we had never been before. It was just Galina and myself and she told me to stay in the van. The building had a blue medical type cross on it so I starting getting worried that they put M in the hospital. Well, after about 5 minutes she came out with some papers and off we went, boy was that a relief.
Today he has no fever and was much more full of energy. But I think the best thing was his smile. Usually, when he comes into the room, he comes over, gives me a hug and goes right for the toys. No real facial expression – good or bad. But today, he was smiling before he even entered the room – ear to ear! He then came running over to hug me. It was wonderful! He definetly wanted me to hold him more today, which was fine with me. I could tell his mouth must still be sore because, he would sometimes struggle when swallowing but he seems 1000 times better. I will get to see him tomorrow at 10am and then hopefully take him with me on Monday!

Went out on my own this afternoon, the other families were visiting their kids. Just walked to the Mall/Grocery for more internet and phone cards. Thankfully, I got the english speaking guy today, He is very nice. I managed to exchange some more dollars for rubels on my own and then back to the room for lunch.

I was thinking about starting a list of things that I might forget once I leave here. Little things that will not mean much to anyone else except for those who have travelled to Russia and specifically Astrakhan. Here it goes:
*Remember how many times you would have to turn the key to get your door open. And then have to do the same thing on the otherside to lock the door once you were inside.
* Remember the horns honking and decorated cards driving down the street but on Friday Afternoon
*Remember never to walk down the street and look at the city. If you do not keep your eyes on the ground, you are surely to trip and fall.
*Remember the dogs and cats walking down the street. Especially the ones that knew how to cross the street with you and the adorable black and white puppy at the Astor that I would have loved to take home.
*Remember the heels that women would wear and how they never seemed to be limping from the discomfort. I never saw any of them trip on the street – boy were they good!
*Remember the Quail eggs in the salads
*Remember the room key on the large wooden key chain. At least I would know when I dropped the key.
*Remember that Lays did not make good flavor choices for their chips is Russia, SourCream and Mushroom, Crab and BBQ and Steak Flavor.
*Remember how we always specified to the taxi driver that we wanted to go to the HOTEL Korvet, so that they did not accidentally take us back to that ship. Always carry the hotel bussiness card on you.
*Remember to be careful on the steps because they are not all the same height
*Remember the smile that a waitress would have when we were NOT seated at her table. I always felt so sorry for the Russian waitresses that did not speak english but were stuck with us.

Well that is it for now, I am sure that more will come to me. Hopefully, those of you who have been here before, had an enjoyable time walking down memory lane.

We went out to dinner tonight with Andy and Kathy. For their last night here we went back to the Chocolate Cafe and had another fabulous dinner. For sure this is our favorite place. It will be sad to see them go. It is so strange how we all get so close in such a short period of time. We have only know each other for 5 days but it feels like much more then that. We joked that it is like camp. We even thought of getting T-shirts made that say Camp Astrakhan.
I have to take time out to thank you all again for your prayers. It really means the world to me.

God Bless

1 comment:

Patti said...

Hooray - you're on Day 8! That's how we counted down the days too on our blog. It really helped us! Yes, I can relate to all of your things to remember. Those sidewalks were treacherous at times. Pushing a stroller gets a little tricky! Say hi to Kathy and Andy if you see them. We're so pumped to hear of their good news! Prayers are being sent your way.