Sunday, September 28, 2008

Day 10!!!!

I can not believe it! Day 10 is here and gone. We tried to keep busy today. Slept in some and had a late Breakfast. Then we went for a long walk probably about 5 hours with a stop at subway for lunch. It was amazing how much subway was like home, even the tables were the same. We were trying to go to a region museum of Astrakhan and found it but it looked like it was under construction. A wonderfully sweet woman tried to tell us how to get to another museum with the little English that she knew. We somewhat understood but did not think we would find it. Well, as we were walking by the park area near the Kremlin, Kyley recognized the russian word for museum so we went in. Again we were greeted with smiles as we asked if anyone spoke english. They did not however we managed to fingure out how much we should pay. It seemed to be the WWII museum that we heard about because everything was focus on the war but also included WWI. There again was this wonderfully sweet woman that was trying to show things to us and explain certain things. We did not understand but really appreciated her effort.
We took a walk along the Volga again, one of the most beautiful places in Astrakhan. Then back to the hotel for a little rest and back out for our walk to dinner. We were going to try another restaurant that we found out had an english menu, Kamila's but unfortunately, they were having a private party tonight so we could not eat there. Thankfully plan B was to eat at the Chocolate Kafe again. Our normal waitress greeted us at the door and they even gave us a free dessert of fruit and chocolate. I guess you can get that kind of treatment when you eat there three times in one week.
Well, I am all packed and ready to go in the morning to get little M. It is still so hard for me to believe that I get to take him out of the orphanage. I have a toy he likes for the car ride and the cloths I am going to change him into. All the cloths he wears must stay at the orphanage. Again, I can not believe that this day is almost here. This is the day that all the effort and paperwork and stress and tears and aches have gone towards, boy is it worth it.
I am glad that we walked so much today, it wore me out so that I will sleep good tonight, otherwise I think that I would be so excited that I could not sleep at all.
Pray for an easy transition. I am starting to get more concerned about the language barrier but we will do our best.
Have a blessed Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats...hope you get lots of rest tonight and are ready for the fun to begin tomorrow! Sophie adored tons of walks when we were waiting those days for our passport. We used to walk for three or four hours a day. Lost 14 pounds too, a nice little added bonus :)

The luggage thing is an absolute bear. There's no way around it, no way to make it easy. I remember barely fitting everything in my suitcase, and then having some customs lady make mean comments about my suitcase when she inspected every inch of it. Nothing like having every dirty sock displayed for all of the airport to see!

I did it alone too...and remember hitting NYC and then Detroit...and then just sobbing and sobbing with relief and thankfulness that I had made it home! It was sheer and total joy to see my hubby and other children, and I'm smiling just thinking about your airport reunion to come. To have your kids meet the new sibling for the first time is pure magic. It is a moment I will cherish forever. Just dream of that moment when you're lugging your luggage and carrying/guiding your child through numerous airports on your way home!

Best wishes...Sara

Jamie said...

Monica, how exciting for you tomorrow is Gotcha Day. I hope it turns out to be everything you have been dreaming of. How nice your little boy will be able to play with Kyley and Greg's daughter. I am so glad for you that your very long journey is coming to a happy ending. I believe I noticed that your son's name is Micah in the comments section. My daughter is Mica, and she was adopted from Tomsk, Russia. We changed her name to Mica. Was this your son's Russian name, or a name you have given him?? (sorry, I was a latecomer and missed that part) Also, my brother lives in Dublin, Ohio. What a great city. We love to visit there. Best wishes for a smooth transition! Jamie Miller

Darryn and Jamie said...

Oh Monica, so happy for you and little "M". I hope today was everything you have been dreaming of. Try and enjoy these next few days with him. There really is something surreal about being away from the hussle and bustle of real life! A year later, I find I wish I could have a few "Astrakhan" days now and then...Congrats again to you and your family!
Jamie S.