Sunday, July 20, 2008

We Made It!

Hello everyone! We made it to Moscow safe and sound but exhausted! The flights and transportation went well. All flights were on time. No problem with weight of our luggage(yet) and for our long flight from JFK to Moscow, we had and extra seat in our three seat row so Russ sat on one end and I on the other and there was extra room in the middle - that was nice! Even with the extra room though,  sleeping was near impossible. The plane was just loud and if I was lucky, I got 1.5 hours sleep. So when we finally got to our hotel, we slept for about 2 hours before heading our to sightsee. It is really weird when you recognize things in Moscow. The strangest thing is that wa we were driving from the airport to the hotel, it literally felt like no time had passes since we were here last  but it has been two months.

We ventured out to Arabat street that is mainly shops and street vendors. Ate at the Hard Rock Cafe and then waled back to the hotel. Just that little jaunt just wiped me out. We really wanted to try to stay up until 9pm ad then sleep  but at 6pm I could not even function. So we slept until about 10pm, ate downstairs at the hotel restuarant and went back to bed around 12:30 am and slept until 7:30 this morning! So with a good nights sleep and great shower and now and Egg McMuffin in my tummy, we are ready to go. Our flight does not leave until 5pm tonight so we have time to do more sightseeing this morning. We are at McDonalds now posting because of the free WiFI.

The weather in Moscow always seems the same, overcast and rain! We did see the sun yesterday and it was in the low 80s which is really hot for here. Not even the Hard ROck Cafe had air conditioning. But with the rain last night it will be in the low 70s. However, Astrakhan will be in the upper 90s this week. It will be a dry heat though so that will help - NOT!

It is amazing how traveling 8 time zones and little sleep will really mess with your emotions and mind. Yesterday, all I really wanted to do was go back home. Just the overall frustration of having to talk to people that do not understand you and really being out of your comfort zone along with the overall grumpy state that I was in due to the lack of sleep really started to focus me on myself and I forgot about the reason we are hear. But with a wonderful nights sleep, I am back to myself and am so excited to meet the kids tomorrow. 

We, so long for now. We will post again on Monday. I just want to tell our wonderful brave kids that we really miss them and love them A LOT - we want to send you lots of hugs and kisses. May God bless all of you who take the time to read my ramblings and pray for us.

8 comments:

c said...

You guys and the kids are in our prayers!! That first day/night coming from the U.S. to Europe is the worst - I'm glad that you have had a chance to recoup and are fresh to meet the kids!!
Jeremy & Carly

Anonymous said...

Praying for your trip.

We LOVED Arbat street and spent a lot of time at the Hard Rock Cafe!!

I remember feeling so tired and out of it as well. I think this is normal!

Wade and Amy Williams said...

This is the first chance I've had to read up on other people's blogs since we've been back home, and I was SO excited to hear that you are in Moscow and on your way to Astrakhan!!! Congratulations! I can't wait to read all about your time in Astrakhan and to hear about your first meeting with the kids!
Amy Williams

Brian Minnes (aka Phillyboy4gzus) said...

I'm praying hard for all the little things.

God is in control.

B

Stephanie and Dennis said...

Good Luck and I can't wait to hear more about the beautiful children!!!!

Keep us informed!
Stephanie

Darryn and Jamie said...

So excited for you. Safe travels! cant wait to follow your story in Astrakhan.
Thoughts and Prayers with you and your family,
Jamie

Brian Minnes (aka Phillyboy4gzus) said...

HELLO?????

WHERE ARE YOU?????

It's my 40th birthday and I'd like some good news today!!!

Still prayin'. Hoping no news is good news.

B

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I think they are trying to draw the lurkers like me out of the woodwork! hehehe

I have been following your blog and have loved hearing about your trips. I have also prayed for you along the way and have been looking forward to hearing how things are going on this trip....

Hope that all is well! Kristine