Sunday, July 27, 2008

Home Sweet Home!

Hello everyone coming from Dublin Ohio! We are so very happy to be home. It is amazing that once you walk in your house how it almost feels like you have never been gone. It was so great to give the kids a hug and to sleep in my own bed - It is almost perfect, we just need little M. On our way home we were excited to 1) see and hug our kids 2) be at our home and in our own bed and 3) go to church. Thankfully we did get back on Saturday(see below) so that we could get to go to church today  - it was so wonderful to see our friends and worship with them(it had been a month since I had been home on a Sunday so I really missed being there).

This trip home was a little more frustrating then the last trips. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time but this time we flew out of Sheremetyevo instead of Domodedovo. It is an older airport and much less effecient. It took much longer to check in but the real kicker is that we were already to take off maybe running 15 mintues late and the pilot came on and said that we were waiting for our paperwork to be approved and we would be off. Well... 1.5 hours later we took off. Mind you, we had a conecting flight in JFK 2 hours 10 minutes after we were scheduled to land so we were trying to figure how we would make the connection. After talking with the Stewardess we knew that there was no way we would make it so we relaxed a little knowing that there was no rush when we landed. And then when we landed it was about another 20-25 minutes waiting for another plane to leave the gate that was scheduled for ours. Thankfully we found out that there was another plane leaving for Columbus that night and we were blessed to get on it. One note about JFK - did not like it. Ok, I know that we were tired and having to deal with missing our flight but when you have spent a week in Russia, where personal space and common courtesy are not part of the culture, you would like to have some of that good old USA smiling charm and NY is not the place to get it - maybe next time we will fly through Atlanta.

Ok, I have to say that I hoped that I figured out the key to jet lag( at least in coming back to the US). We woke up at 6:30 am Moscow time on Saturday and I slept only about 20 minutes on the plane. It was not until about 8:00 pm EST that I napped(that is 4 am Moscow time) and it was  for about 2 hours on and off  on the plane to Columbus. So when I got home I was able to get a good nights sleep of about 7.5 hours. I was able to make it through all day without feeling exhausted. It is almost 9pm and I am read to go to bed - but this is much better then the last time we returned. I will let you know how it goes this week.

So now on to the paperwork. I will be getting on it first thing Monday morning and am hoping that I can get most if not all of it done by the end of the week. The sooner the paperwork, the sooner the court date and the sooner our little boy will be at home with us - how great that sounds. Well off to get everyone to bed so I can go to sleep.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hey there, this is Jeremy Adams... ignore the "Caveman" moniker. Just thought I might be able to offer some advice about the jet lag thing: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2252042720080522?sp=true

Stephanie and Dennis said...

WELCOME BACK!!!!! It must be nice to be home. I pray that you get a return court date quickly - Now, GET MOVING!!!! Get that paperwork in!! I am so excited for you.
Stephanie

Darryn and Jamie said...

Welcome Home and congratulations on your new little boy! Once he is home for good, the trials of the journey fade. Praying smooth sailing from here. Oh, and had much better experience in Atlanta than JFK!