Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Red Couch and Oath

PICTURES: The girls that were adopted through Madison, the families that adopted through Madison, Our picture outside the American Consulate and Yanzi with her friend Natalie, the matching was not planned.

It is funny how by the end of the day, things are such a blur to me. If I did not write these things down before I went to bed, I am sure I would forget by the morning.
Today was a very busy day. We first went to a Jade and Pearl Store and spent some more money. Our guide then took us to a Pizza Hut for lunch. We all enjoyed our pizza and Yanzi even had chicken wings again! We the rushed back to the hotel, took the infamous red couch photos( however only one of the girls got to wear the traditional chinese dress) and then it was off to the American Consulate for our oath. We will try to get Yanzi to wear her dress for a little bit so we can get the picture tomorrow.
We took a large bus with many many families to the consulate. THere were two busses that left from the WHite Swan hotel. It took over 30 minutes to get there but it was enjoyable to see the town. We went up to the 5th floor, went through security and sat in a room with about 40 other families. We waited until our daughter's chinese name was called. Then showed our passport, signed a form and sat down until all the families were done. Then an officer came out and and gave us the oath to say and we were done. It will be so great when we land in Chicago on Friday and go through immigration, our daughter will then be a US Citizen. I know that does not mean much to her now but we know how important it is and are so thrilled for her.
We then did some walking around the island tonight with a little more shopping. Now I don't want you to think that we are actually buying things on all these shopping excursions but just the act of going around, looking at the shops and talking to the people is fun. We then ate at a restaurant called the Orient Express. I had never heard of it until a couple earlier in the week mentioned it. It is French and had a train car on the outside. THere were not very many people there because it is out of the way from the main hubbub but it was an excellent restaurant. THe food was great and it was great to look at inside. For those who may be coming to the island soon, walk out the back of the White Swan and down the street that is perpendicular to the hotel. When you get to the next street, make a right. THere will be a Starbucks on the left once you turn. Walk on this street until it dead ends, the restaurant will be on your left. One you are on the island for several days you start repeating the restaurants that you go to so a new one is always nice.

I don't know if I will get to post tomorrow. We will do packing and last minute picture taking and then leave for Hong Kong at 4:30. We won't get there until about 7pm and since we are staying at the Disney Hollywood hotel. I am sure we will spend the little time we have walking around and visiting the gift shop( more shopping) - I better get all my outings out of the way now because once I get home, I don't know how much I will get out of the house. Then Friday is off to the airport and the long ride home. We will get to Chicago at about 2pm Chicago TIme and after a 5 HOUR LAYOVER and up back HOME at a little after 9pm. Oh home, my kids my own bed, no suitcase!!!

No real changes today with Yanzi, I would have to say we are at a stand still right now. She loves to be around people and was really great today since we were with other families most of the day. However, once they were all gone, and she had time to sit and think in the room, she was getting a little tearful. She never balls but just usually gets a distant look in her eyes and tears. I am hoping that once we get home, all the newness will keep her busy and not make her sad. It is not that I don't want her to miss China but there is so much for her to miss right now that I think it would be too overwelming for her. I have to say there is a part of me that is going to miss being here. I will miss the families that we have met, I will miss looking at the way of life here and seeing how hard the people work and how appreciative they are of the small things. I will miss having my husband negotiate a better price for something, I will miss not having someone else do my laundry for cheaper than I can buy detergent back home, I will miss having a breakfast buffet that is out of this world, I will miss taking in the culture so that I can tell my daughter about it when she is older and I will miss hearing my daughter speak her native language with such pride to all the people we meet.

THank you for all your prayers as we have gone through this journey. We still have a very hard road ahead of us but we will have family and friends beside us then. Your prayers have met so much and I can not tell you how blessed we are to have had such a smooth and enjoyable time in China as well as being blessed with an amazing little girl.

9 comments:

Adrienne and Domenico said...

She is absolutely adorable! Wishing you the best on your trip back, and we can't wait to meet the little angel! -Domenico & Adrienne

Mark & Kris said...

We will definiately be praying with you for a safe trip home and an easy transition to the States for your daughter. There is a group in Columbus, Central Ohio Families with Children from China, that we joined last year. They offer art, dance, and language classes to help your child keep their culture real to them. They also are around kids they can relate too. Samuel is only 15 months so we have not done a lot with them yet, but they have an Autumn Moon fesitival coming up on the 24th in Westerville that sounds fun. Sophia may really like something like this. They have a web site. My email is kris_warner@yahoo.com if you want any more info!!

Julie said...

Sophia Yanzi is just adorable and what a special time for her and Dominc. We look forward to meeting her and hearing more about your trip. Thanks for the updates-they have been so enjoyable to read!!! Always in our prayers!!

Leatha said...

I'm praying for you and I've enjoyed all the pictures and all the words that you've shared with us! Sophia Yanzi is so beautiful!! I smiled when I saw her dress, Elizabeth wore the same dress on July 4th!:)

. said...

We are so glad you are coming home soon. Getting into a normal routine will be refreshing! We have so enjoyed sharing in a part of your journey. Can't wait to meet Sophia. We are praying for a safe trip home and easy transitions.

Kyley, Greg, and Grace

Katie and Duane said...

Congrats on the newest family member. I have enjoyed reading your blog during both your adoption journeys. Hope you made it home safe.

Nashville Cheapster said...

We are so happy and excited for you! Sophia is adorable. What an adventure, though I'm sure you'll be glad to be back home soon. Wishing you the best on your journey home!
Rai-Lynn, Donnie, Nica and Alec

Robin said...

Thinking about you all and hoping everyone is doing well back home!!!

Christel Ann Cook said...

Hi! I am a fellow soon-to-be Tianjin mom... following along, just wondered how you all are! How is everyone settling and especially Sophia. Just checking on you!

christel