Monday, September 6, 2010

Our First Day with Sophia(Yanzy)

After breakfast, we headed out at 9am. We thought we were going to get the orphanage donation exchanged first but our guide(Michael) said that we could do it later and go back on Tuesday to give the donation. SO it was off to the orphanage, I thought it would be a little while but it was not even 5 minutes and we were turning into the orphanage. I quickly got out my camera and started taking as many pictures as I could. It seemed very clean and a newer orphanage. We went into a reception room and waited. We were told at one point that Xin Yan was on her way but they were having trouble with the car. Then later our guide told us that she gets car sick a nd she had gotten sick in the car - good thing I brought a barf bag for us! We were then told that she was there but she was having trouble with her shoes hurting her feet and they were trying to take care of that.
We had filled out some paperwork while waiting and they gave us some things. Two gifts from the orphanage and we even had what looks like a baby book that we were told the foster mother had kept. We will have to get that translated. I had a list of questions that I gave the guide to find out some could really only be answered by the foster mother but we did find out that Xin Yan has been in foster care since she was 5 months old. We think it is with the same family but are not absolutely sure. We also found out that her nickname is Yanzy so that is what we have been calling her.
Another mom, Mary was also with us to get her 11 year old. She is on crutches and came in first. SHe started to cry when she came in the room, it was soo sad to see what there wonderful children have to go through to get their forever family. We know that their lives will be better with a family to care and love for them but leaving all that they know is so very hard for them and for us.
Finally it was time for us. The orphanage staff brought in three bags of stuff from the foster mother, one of food and snacks, one with some cloths and a backpack with some toys and hair ties. They gave us the photo album that we sent her and we looked through it while we waited. THere were many pictures added of her foster family. So when it was time for her to come in there were about 3 women and Xin Yan that came in at the same time. We recognized the woman carrying her as the foster mom. At first she was all smiles and very silly. THey had said that she was timid but she was hamming it up, she reminded me of Micah, especially when he is nervous - he gets very silly. They introduced us to her as mama and baba ans she seemed to acknowledge that, so I think she was prepared some. They then went over to her bags to distract her and the foster mom slipped out. As soon as she saw she was going she started to cry. I went over to pick her up and she let me. She then sat on my lap the rest of the time. Her cries slowed to sniffles and then it was time to go. We quickly grabbed all our things and headed off to the van. Since she gets car sick, they suggested that her and I sit in the front seat so we did.
It was off to the police station to get her passport. The driving her is quite crazy but now that I was in the front seat! I tried to either look away of keep my eyes shut. On the way she sniffled the entire way. When we got there, I carried her because her heel was hurting. WHile we were waiting a big bug landed on my shoulder and when I shooed it away, we got her first smile! I then let her down and she really opened up. Playing with Dominic and the other girl. You could see her personality coming out. Once we took care of that, we went to get money exchanged. The first bank was giving us a hard time so we went to another one. The entire time she was doing really well and then all of the suden, she stopped, pulled out her winie the pooh washcloth and started rubbing her eyes. SHe let me hold her while we finished the banking and then we went to the hotel. She livened up again, as we saw the room, ate lunch and then went down to the local store(Carrfours) to get some food for the room. We played in the room for awhile and then we thought it would be time for a nap. She had told us that she would take a nap after lunch if there wasn't anything good on TV. I was going to lay down with her but she wanted us all to come. So we all layed down and she was out in less then 5 minutes. Her and I slept for 2 hours! Boy did I need that so I am sure she did. I was worried when we woke her up that she would cry but she did not. Mary and her daughter visited the room for awhile. I then gave her a bath and tried to put PJs on her but she insisted on putting her cloths back on so we did. SHe definitly knows what she wants and is insistent on doing it. Then my family called through Skype and we talked and she watched them all. SHe was very tired at that point and just watched all that was going on. We then were able to get her to eat some more fried rice( her favorite) and off to bed. I had her and DOminic lay in bed while I blogged and before I was done, she was alseep. That was about 8:45 pm and it is now 6 am and she is still out. We will need to get her up soon because we need to get ready, skype, eat breakfast and get our money out of the safe(China's largest bill is 100 yuan which is about $14 and change so when you get money exchanged you can end up with quite a wad) at be ready to leave by 8:30am.

Over all it has been pretty much what I was hoping for. She has moments where she shows her true self and moments of sadness but she lets me comfort her. The busier we are and the more people we are around the better she does. Dominic has been a great help and good friend to her. Russ, she tolerates right now. She doesn't seem afraid of him but doesn't really want him to hold her either but I am sure she will come around quickly. Sorry for the long details but I want to remember everything I can about these first few days. Thank you again for your prayers, we are so very blessed by them and the grace that our Lord has poured out on us.

I am attaching a video but not sure if it will come through

6 comments:

Craig and Phyllis said...

I was so surprised to see another post. The video did not work, but I will try it again later. Oh, I just about cried as I was reading. I loved reading all the details about when you met her! Tell Russ I feel his pain. Dima was stuck with Craig the whole time. I was "okay", but he wanted to be with Craig!

So interesting the history that you are getting for her! That will be a treasure to have!

Still holding you up in prayer!

Julie said...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATES!!!! I am so happy for you and love to read the details! We love you and keep you all in our prayers.

Leatha said...

Oh, Monica I LOVE your description and writing about your journey. I'm continuing to pray for all of you!! Thank you for sharing!!

Mark & Kris said...

What a wonderful, detailed post!! Sophia will treasure that as well one day!! Sounds like she is doing wonderful!! She will latch onto to Russ soon. We will be praying for that specifically!

Angela said...

Hi, I have been following your journey with interest;my daughter is LuXinMei fom Tianjin, which means that she was born and named there the same year as your daughter. She has been such a joy and blessing to our family as I'm sure Sophia will be to yours. Enjoy your time in Tianjin and be sure to visit Ancient Culture Street for treasures you will not find anywhwere else. Congratulations and best wishes
Angela
www.myadoptionwebsite.com/maili

Amy said...

Keep the details coming! I have been following your blog since Micah and feel as though I know you and your family.

It sounds as though all is going well. Yanzy looks like such a sweetheart....the rest will all come and fall into place.