Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Just Hanging Out

Today we finally slept in. Oh it felt so good. We have finally adjusted to the time here and now we leave in 3 days and have to adjust back.
We had our consulate appointment today but our guide goes for us and handles the paper work. We just have to stay in our room for any questions. iT wasn't even an hour and then we were off walking around. First we found the store "A Gift from China" We had been looking for it. THey have things that are made by orphans and all the proceeds go to support the orphans. The things were beautiful and I could have bought everything. By far this was my favorite store on the island, we did not even have to deal with shopkeepers following us around the store.
We then decided to venture off the island and it is an entirely different world. This is how the chinese really live and shop. Many interesting food choices to pick from, or not. WE saw dried sea horses and curled up snakes. We would have liked to look some more but it was 95 degrees with probably 200% humidity so we were all dripping wet and ready to go.
So we decided to go swimming to cool off. However it wasn't long before a storm rolled in and we headed back to our room. THe nice thing about the rain here is that at least it cools things off for a little while.
We ended the evening with dinner at our favorite Thai plce with the two families we met earlier in the week. It is so great to make new friends on an adoption trip but sad when we know we have to go our separate ways.
Our little Yanzi is such a character. She talks up a storm to all the shop keepers and we think we have figured out why she often gets upset with them. It turns out that even though she speaks mandarin, she has a strong Tianjin accent. That and with talking very fast, I think some of the chinese have trouble understanding her, that is why she gets frustrated when she has to repeat herself to them. SHe even told one shop keeper, "I am proud of my Tianjin accent." I would liken it to a New Yorkers accent in the States.
On the bonding side, Dominic and Yanzi have enjoyed watching a cartoon that is very popular here, Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf. Dominic actually gets very excited to watch the videos even though they are all in chinese.
Oh, I forgot to mention how the outfit choice went today. SHe was not real pleased with the choices she had and now I know why. She motioned that she wanted short sleeves and everything I had were sun dresses. I had heard that the chinese woman do not wear sleeveless tops. But unfortunately that is all that we had so she choose one and was ok the rest of the day.
Since she also does not want to wear any of the hair things that I brought. I decided to use them as a bonding experience and started putting them in my hair. SHe had fun joining in and putting them all in my hair. It was a fun time.
My only real concern now is getting her food that she likes. Today she ate toast with jelly and chicken wings( not at the same meal) and liked them. Hopefully that will continue when we get home.
Only 3 more days, wow, the time has really gone fast. I can not wait to get hugs and kisses from all my kids at home and to have them all get to know Yanzi as we have in the past week.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like everyone is adjusting. Good luck with the food, I feel your pain. We had a really tough time in China but then noticed after we got home that Hadley began to eat/try more and more different types of food. It was about a week after we got home that she began to acclimate...we played different games to try to reinforce the excitement of eating, especially because she was so little and we needed to put weight on her. She's such a cutie pie, Monica!! :)

Craig and Phyllis said...

Can't believe that you will be home this weekend!! Your three at home must be sooo ready to meet their sister!

I thought I was having it bad here on vacation with all the bugs, frogs, lizards, and such. I saw that first picture and realized it could be worse!! : ) But it sounded like you would have enjoyed it if it had not been for the humidity?!!