Thursday, May 1, 2008

Making Progress(with things not people)

Well it has been 10 days since the call and only 15 more days until we leave. I can't believe it had been 10 days already! Things are getting done slowly but surely and I am able to still keep up with all the normal activities around our house. The big things are taken care of(almost). 
* Plane Tickets - In hand
* Hotel Reservations - Made
* Visa - will be here next week with hopefully enough time to correct if there is an error
* "New" Money on order
* Doctor's visits and blood work complete(just waiting for results and final papers from the doctors)
* New suitcases purchased(the wheel were broken on our cheap ones on our last trip - don't want to actually "carry" the luggage half way across the world)
*Outfits in different sizes for the kids purchased(this is to try to size them up when we are there to know what size to bring on the second trip)
* Albums purchased to put family pictures in to leave with the kids(Still have to put them together)
* Toys purchased to bring to the orphanage to play with the kids
* Gathered up clothes to bring

(For those of you who are list freaks like me check out this link under Favorites)

So things are going well - there is much more to do and I am still hoping that I will get it all done along with all the things I want to do with my precious ones here. I have to admit, the excitement is somewhat wearing off and even though I can not wait until I get to meet my new angels I am really starting to miss my angles that I have to leave behind. It is just such an emotional rollercoaster.

So with that said, I have to vent about my frustrations with telling people. When you have been living, breathing and thinking adoption for months, if not years, you have this illusion that when you tell others they will be so excited that you have reached a major milestone - NOT. Don't get me wrong, there are so many friends and family that are overjoy for  you and wanting to help in any way that they can but it is those few that really bring you down. And today was one of the worst that I have encountered so far. It was someone that barely knew me and I could tell that they thought that this was not a wise thing to do(probably because we already have 3 bio kids and why would I want to go against the social norm). They kept asking me if I had done this or thought of that, like this was a decision that I had made on the spur of the moment. I felt like I was 13 and trying to justify to my parents why I want to go out with my friends. In these moments I just have to turn my thoughts to my Lord and how I know that this is the path that He has laid before us and that there are two children who yearn for a Mom and Dad to love and protect them no matter what.

Sorry for such a long post - sometimes you just have to vent.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Hi there, I found your blog (I don't remember how...) and wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I adopted our son from Astrakhan in March. You can check out our blog if you'd like. I wanted to wish you well on your travels and I pray that everything goes smoothly for you. God's blessings to you on your journey!

Patti

Amy said...

Hello. Since adopting out daughter in June 2007, I am an "Astrakhan Nut" I found Patti's blog and followed her story and now I am following yours. I feel that even though we have never met, I know what you are going through. You will find comfort in the "family" that you get not only from the beautiful children you will be adopting but also from the thousands of other adoptive families that are out there. There is this unspoken bond that is between adoptive parents....especially those who have adopted internationally - not to mention the Astrakhan crew. Things are pretty crazy now and when you are in Astrakhan, you will probably be pulling your hair out waiting to come home. But just know that after all is said and done, you will have beautiful children to join your family and memories that you will learn to look upon fondly. Best wishes to you on your journey and exciting time!!

Joel and Nancy said...

I say, "Hello", too. My husband and I adopted siblings from Astrakhan. We returned home on March 7th of this year. Would love to chat with you if you have questions, etc. Other than that, I will read and watch as you journey abroad and meet the little ones that God has for you.

Nancy

Unknown said...

The Kingdom knows NO BOUNDARIES my brother. I know I haven't said this to you or Monica (out loud)but I am sooooo stinkin proud to call you guys my friends. Know that we are lifting you guys up daily.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. We get it all of the time. It makes me so sad sometimes. I just have to keep my eyes on the Lord.