Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Sad Beginning to 2009

I mentioned in my previous posts that things were very stressful after our return from Russia. It was not just the adjustment to having a new member of our family (which is a big stressor on its own) but the week after we got home, Russ's mom got sick. Soon we found out that she had an inoperable brain tumor that was quite large. So on Jan 2nd, after 2 months of a good fight, my sweet mother-in-law left to be with our wonderful Savior. She was no typical mother-in-law and there is nothing that I have to say about her but praise. I have learned a lot from her over the years and was always amazed at how patient she could be with others. Fortunately she was able to meet our little M and see him full of energy running around her house. We even have a picture of her smiling as little M is screaming in the background because he did not want to be held. Oh how she loved kids and Little M completed her dozen grandchildren. She will be sadly missed but I can not help but smile as I imagine her with her new body in the presence of our glorious Savior. Twice in our family we have brought a new child into our family at the same time we have mourned the passing of a sister and now a mother - it makes the new child just that much more special.

Glory be to God

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Adopting and the loss of a loved one are two very stressful events in and of themselves but experiencing them together makes the stress meter fly off the radar.

I had a similar situation. My mother had lung cancer. She was able to she photos and video of our daughter when we returned from our first trip to Astrakhan. She died while we were waiting for our court date. My first day back to work after my mother's death we got the call to travel. We left for Russia 13 days after her death. You were blessed to have your mother-in-law meet your newest addition. Cherish those memories (and that photo).

My prayers and thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Patti said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's passing. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and will be greatly missed. My sympathies to you and you family. My grandmother also had a brain tumor and it was a sudden loss for us when it happened, so I understand to an extent what you are going through. May the Lord's peace and comfort surround you and you family.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry. I am just getting caught up on your blog... and to read this. It must have been so hard just coming home from Russia.