Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Flooding

The title has nothing to do with the weather - in fact right now we have a ton of snow - but rather with the state of Little M's pants. Take a look!
He has been wearing 12 month pants and 24 month tops since we came home but just a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that his pants were getting too short. Normally this would bring dread to a mom who either had to go out and buy more cloths or dig through the closets for the next size, but this was big news in our house, Little M is growing! We were at the doctors last week and he has gained 4 pounds and grown 0.75" since we came home, that is wonderful.

We also got our first post placement visit under our belts this past weekend - that was nice too. We are finally getting around to completing the remaining of the paperwork that we have left to do. I so dreaded the paperwork from the months prior to the adoption that it took 3 months to bring myself to working on it, and the only reason I did was because we needed to get his SSN. 

It is unbelievable how much his speech is improving! He is now using 3 word sentences that I can understand. I am just so amazed at this, I could not even come close to learning the equal amount of Russian in the same period of time.

We have our ups and downs as most do but we had a big turn for the down last week. Normally. when there is something that M is doing that he will just not stop doing, he gets taken to his time out spot. It is a spot in the kitchen, where I spend most of my time it seems. In the past, he would just cry, we would have a little talk and he would say he was sorry( in his own way) and life would go on. Well, last week, he started with what I would call little fits. There is yelling of "NO", he will not walk to the time out spot but just fall to the floor and start tossing his hands all over the place. And then then there is the all out, toss your body on the floor , literally kicking and screaming(well more like yelling) - I almost had to laugh at that one because it was typically a 2 year old. And then biting has begun to rear it's ugly head.
So there it goes,  but I do feel like we make 2 steps forward and 1 step back and not 1 step forward and 2 steps back  - so hey, there is progress. 
I have to say that all this, along with the issues of the other three kids(yes they have issues too), had me really at my wits end - feeling like I was such a failure as a mom and every other negative thought that come through my mind. But then I got to get together with my friend Phyllis and oh what a difference that made. THANKS PHYLLIS! I got out of the house, away from everyone and got to talk with an adopted mom who know all of what I was going through. I came home and felt great and was like a new person the next day. So for all you moms that are wondering how you are going to do it - take a break, get away from it all, force yourself to do it. Yes, you will be returning home to all the same problems, but with a new strength.

4 comments:

Craig and Phyllis said...

Thanks, Monica! I had an absolutely wonderful time too, and it was way too short! The boys were waiting in bed for me to kiss them goodnight. Maxim was concerned that I was going to go to your house to go to bed! : ) I can't believe how much M is growing in height.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not alone. Your advice to get out every once in awhile is perfect. My little one is 3.5 and we had to do just that yesterday. Snow emergencies and all I needed contact with the "outside world" for sanity. If you would like another adoption venting buddy I would be open to meeting you and little M. We are in NE Columbus.

Becky and Keith said...

It's flooding season at our house too!! I know EXACTLY what you are going through - needing that "break". It's so important to get out, refresh and dive right back in. Glad to see little M is doing so well! :-)

Anonymous said...

He is growing! What a cutie.

Adjustment takes times. I am here if you need to talk.